Introducing Terry Bluez





What is your name and what city do you rep?

Terry Bluez out of Waco, Texas.

Tell us about your latest releases, what inspired you to create them?

I used to make music as a form of expressive therapy. Everything was so deep and serious, almost depressing. Until I realized, "Nobody wants to hear that shit!" After years of failing as a rapper, I shifted my creative storytelling abilities into film and later comedy. As I began to see more success as a comedian than a rapper or filmmaker, I just stuck with it. Once COVID hit and my stand up tour got put on halt, I tried to figure out a way to create funny content and keep my momentum going. I did a quarantine rap challenge for a friends podcast and ended up just rapping about jacking off too much and made a video about it. It was something people found funny and entertaining so I decided why not keep on doing this as part of my comedy. Now I'm out here "Just Doin $Hit". This project "Just Doin $Hit" was really just jokes I had that I couldn't do on stage. Don't take any of this project or me seriously as a rapper.

What is unique about you and your music?

I am NOT a rapper. I'm not even a musician. I'm not here to be the best lyricist or the hardest gangsta. I'm here to entertain with humor. I'm a comedian who just happens to rap well. My music is just stand up jokes in rap form (Punchline for Punchline).

What shaped your music? 

Everyday life. Just like my stand up, my music is a combination of my personal experience and worldly observations with a twist of dark self-deprecating humor. I am inspired by artist like BFB DaPackman and Lil Dicky who don't take themselves too seriously and have created a lane for what I consider Comedy Rap.

When did you realize you were going to make music professionally? 

Like I said, this ain't my profession. I'm not seeking a record deal or major rap tours and shit. Naw, music for me is just to supplement my comedy. I mean yes, I am trying to create a new revenue stream and open that comedy rap lane up, but I am a comic first.

What type of music do you listen to? 

Rap, Hip-Hop, and random white people shit when I am around them.

What inspires you to write music? 

My favorite artist out now is BFB DaPackman. His bars are hard and hilarious. I listen to him more for inspiration, like you can be yourself and be funny with rap and as long as you are genuinely yourself, people will gravitate to it.

What do you do when you don’t do music (creative or otherwise) and that you are passionate about?
 
Now that we are in a Post-Corona era, I have been back on the road with stand up comedy. I produce and host live comedy shows throughout my city and also tour throughout the country (was touring, hoping everything picks back up soon). I also am a filmmaker by trade, currently working on a documentary. I just really enjoy telling an entertaining story in any artistic medium I can.

Happiness to you is… 

Freedom. Money can't buy happiness, but being broke can't buy ANYTHING. Happiness to me is the freedom to create what I want, when I want and not worry about being cancelled or how I am going to feed my family. Whatever dollar amount it takes me to reach that point, I'm good.

What do you wish you were told when you first started making music that you think would help artists just starting out? 

Nobody wants your mixtape! Nobody cares how dope you think you are! Nobody owes you anything. But if you stay consistent, work on your craft, and build a budget to invest in yourself, you just may make enough to not need that 9-5 anymore.

Tell us about your upcoming projects...

Right now I'm working on dropping videos for every song of the "Just Doin $Hit" EP. Videos for 'No Diss, Respect' and 'Only Fans' are out now. The video for "Kung Flu' drops early November. You can pretty much expect a new video every month and a new EP every 6 months until somebody take notice.

Where do we find you music / music projects?  

Hit me on the interwebs:

Any last words for the readers?

I spent 30 minutes trying to think of a joke to end this interview with.....Yea....I got nothing. 
College is a scam. Dropout of school while you still can.

0 comments:

Post a Comment